Sunday, June 24, 2012

Frigidaire Flair Double Oven Update: I Can't Put It On the Front Burner

With SWMBO out of town for the weekend, I figured I needed to move one of the Flair double ovens into the laundry area where luckily I have a 220 volt plug in so I could test it out and figure out if this is ready to  use in our kitchen.  So I moved  enough stuff to heave the Custom Deluxe oven close to the plug and, with a fire extinguisher nearby, I plugged it in.

The Custom Deluxe

The good news is, I found most of the heating elements work, except for the non-broiler element in the smaller oven, and the 8-inch front right burner on the slide out stove top.  Oh, and the clock only works intermittently.  While I was in the mood, I took off the oven doors one at a time, disassembled them, cleaned up the chrome, trim, and glass, and put those back on the oven.  That took up the better part of my Saturday and Sunday morning.

The bad news is, the one stove burner that doesn't work looks to have a broken mount, and I don't know if it can be fixed.  (Big sad face).  That's the burner where the optional no-slip griddle I have would be used.  With these two problems, I'm not going to try to install this heavy thing-  yet.  I know I can get the clock rebuilt, but I have to do some checking to see if I can do anything about the front burner mount.


Meanwhile, the other Flair oven - the Custom Imperial double oven, the one I bought mainly to get the bottom cabinet that came with it - has its own problem.  I got it off the truck and have it outside covered with a tarp and raised up off the driveway.  I had planned to put it in the kitchen, but while I was cleaning it up I decided to try and clean behind the gauge face plate and, I broke the darn glass face plate.  ARGH!!! (Really Big Sad Face). My initial thought was to try and use the face plate from the Custom Deluxe, but, they are different.  So right now, I have two ovens with issues, and I'm pretty frustrated.  (This experience is very similar to what I've been through with restoring old cars, so I know the best thing I can do is take a few deep breaths, back away slowly, and put these things on ice until I can either find the parts I need and figure out how to fix the broken things.)




12 comments:

  1. Good luck on those two projects, Uncle Atom.
    One thing for sure, that Custom Deluxe looks spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty amazing that they've lasted this many years with only minor problems. I have no doubt you'll figure out a way to get one of them working perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Atom I hate to sound like a broken record but......automaticwasher.org......John Lefever aka Combo52. if he cannot help you he may be able to direct you to someone who can..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just know you'll be able to fix at least one of the ovens up to use...it's just meant to be that you have one in your kitchen!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although we have just started our mid-century journey we are well aware of your frustration. Keep the faith that all will turn out well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh darn! I hate those mishaps, but you'll persevere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you had the fire extinguisher at the ready...just in case. Anytime my dad and I are restoring some old piece of junk and we plug it in for the first time he calls it the "Smoke & Fire Test" I have seen smoke a few times, but luckily no fire yet! Good luck with your stove/oven resto. I saw a similar set up on our local CL a while ago. Made me think of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a custom deluxe model that just yesterday while cooking, in the large oven , made a loud pop. Since then the large oven does not seem to be heating up like it should. We replaced the fuse behind left back burner thinking that was the problem but no such luck. The smaller oven is still working, as are the burners. The oven does warm but never gets up beyond 80 degrees. Do you have any idea how we can save our precious oven?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    I found your blog while looking for parts for my Frigidaire Custom Delux Flair that looks EXACTLY like yours! My burners all work (although at different rates at different times!) The smaller oven bottom element is out. The large oven stopped working yesterday and the light won't even come on. Hence my search, finally, for parts! I've been using this unit for 25 years since we moved into this house. Does anyone know of any sites where I can get parts?? Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops! Forgot to put in my email address for the last comment about my two ovens not working. Please answer me at lindalee27@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there.. I have this same Frigidaire Custom Imperial Flair stove with double oven for sale at this time. It seems that you are looking for parts; ie: the burner mounts. Please let me know if you might be interested in the stove that I have for sale. It has only been used by our family since new in 1968. It was last used in 2011. Everything works on it except for one burner switch. Two of the burners require service to the wiring; something that can easily be addressed.

    ReplyDelete