Sunday, November 20, 2011

A bright idea - a vintage storage container for auto light bulbs

After my last post on some vintage auto accessories I've found for my old cars recently, I did a little more searching and turned up this container on Etsy.com.


It's marked "Anthes" on the hinged lid, in the same script that's on the emergency reflector/flag box in my last post.



You can't see it in the photos, but also stamped in smaller print on the lid are the words

ANTHES FORCE OILER CO
FORT MADISON, IOWA

Pretty cool idea that for some reason must have never caught on. This is the first container of this kind that I've ever seen.

When you open it up, you have storage for a replacement headlight bulb, and in the lid you have a place to store a variety of replacement bulbs for accessories in the car.


I like it!

This was in pretty good shape when it came in the mail, but the bottom was missing paint and I quickly decided to spruce it up with the same shade of red I used on the emergency reflectors box.

Not much else to share right now, I'm still working on laying tiles throughout the basement, and it's taking a lot of time to cut and fit the smaller pieces around corners and along walls.  It's hard to do very many of these at one time, so I'm pacing myself.  I hope to have the main finished part of the basement done and cleaned up in the next few weeks.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son just presented me with one of the light repair kits like yours for Christmas 2013 . It's model number B102. It's missing some paint; but it otherwise in great condition. It is the first one I had ever seen till I got online to research it and found this article. It was a great idea in it's day. Do you know where to find any more information on these and perhaps some kind of value or collectable status.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help with a value. You might get some idea by searching etsy.com or eBay completed auctions.

      Delete
  3. I know it's an old post but I just pulled one of these (B102) from the trunk of a 53 Pontiac that was in the barn since 1975.... Neat piece for the car, and practical too.... John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any ideas for the age ? Closest thing I can find is pre 1960... Merger to Gleason ?

    ReplyDelete