Saturday, April 24, 2010

1963 Mercury Coloring Book - who knew?!


As always I took Friday off to go to the Spring Carlisle old car flea market.  Had a great time, was cold, got sunburnt, and bought junk I (mostly) didn't need.

One thing I didn't need but had to have was this 1963 Mercury marketing tool - a kids coloring book with not only some nice line art of the 1963 Mercury lineup, but some great corny sales pitches to the kiddies.  My graphic artist friend who is a long-time collector of Mercury-related automotive literature says he's never seen it before. I haven't taken the time to clean up these scans, wanted to get them posted quickly.  Are you coloring outside the lines?



  

4 comments:

  1. Okay, a stick is used to make little boys go faster? Wha? And that "planet" Lol! I think they used all of their artistic talent on the Mercury owner's face. Notice only men will ever own a Mercury. Ahhh, the good ol days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I bought this I grabbed it for the Mercury man images and didn't take the time to read the marketing pitches. This stuff would make the Mad Men copywriters proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just bought a copy of this off ebay. It going to make some great literature for when i restore my 63 mercury monterey.

    ReplyDelete

I allow Anonymous comments, but if you are posting a question and want a reply, please leave an email address or consider posting with some identification. Oh, and if you are a spammer who has "been reading on the web for more than three hours and have found some greatly fascinating writing on this blog and would love for people to click on the little linky" you are trying to post here, fuggetaboutit, I will delete!