Sunday, September 27, 2009

Wrought iron legs - I love em!



A few years ago my wife and I ran across some black wrought iron and wicker patio furniture at an antique mall.  We managed to cram all of it in and on top of our station wagon and drag it 200 miles home with us. It was probably my first wrought iron acquisition, but a lot has been added since then.


One of my favorite scores came from craigslist in the DC area - this wrought iron sofa with two blond formica end tables and matching coffee tables.  The wrought iron was brown and rust, the cushions were an awful brown, and the wood rails on the arms and back were equally ugly.  I stripped the wood and used a blond stain on them, and cleaned, primed and painted the wrought iron black.  I got really lucky when I found the right brass and plastic feet for it at a local hardware store.  The cushion material was found online and I had a local upholster do the cushions.  We pulled the wall colors in our living room from the sofa fabric, and over the past couple years we've added things to tie it all together.    I'll cover the wrought iron topic more in future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment