The cracked area is obviously still visible here, but some Howard's Restore-a-Finish did a pretty good job of hiding the crack and improving the overall finish.
The bad side of the crack faces the back of the lamp where the cord exits the base, so I lucked out there. I managed to get out some of the dent in the gold aluminum cone but I have the remaining dents facing the back also, so the front of the lamp looks pretty good now.
I put a red-colored compact fluorescent bulb in, and it looks pretty good with the perforated screen.
This last shot is with the room lights out - it casts a nice red glow. I'm pretty happy with how this turned out, but I need to invest in a solid shade of walnut stain, which I think would work better at hiding a repaired crack.
Thanks to Mr. Modtomic, I have a pretty good idea that my lamp originally had a tulip-shaped globe that went around the perforated mesh as seen in the lamp below, available here. That's a heckuva lamp!
Fining another globe like that will be quite a challenge, I'm sure. Maybe I can find a vintage plastic drinking cup and cut a hole in the bottom...hmmmm