I found this Danish styled tulip lamp on etsy.com yesterday, and then I realized the seller is also here in Northern Virginia. Any what she makes on her sales supports animals she rescues. Win/win! So I met her and
The push-button on/off switch is a nice detail.
The lamp functioned and didn't look too bad this way, but that crack would drive me nuts, so I figured a little glue was in order. The hard part about gluing an area like this is it's hard to fit a clamp around it to get a good tight bond. I'm hoping I'll be able to get it pretty tight and mask the crack with some touch up stain or some Howard's Restore-a-Finish.
It also had a couple of dents in this brass piece. I'm going to try and press outward from the inside and try to at least minimize the size of the dents.
Taking the lamp apart meant sacrificing the original felt base, but it had a hole in it anyway. This way, I can clean the individual parts, make sure the wiring is good, and put it back together with a new cork base.
With the base mostly removed I could take apart the wiring, being careful to first take a photo to make sure I connect the wires correctly when I go to reassemble everything.
All I needed to take this apart was a small adjustable wrench to remove the nut at the base of the brass rod that forms the arm for the light fixture. A couple of turns of the wrench and the nut is off. Then I'm just carefully taking note of the pieces that come off next and the order they are in.
I'll finish this quick lamp project in the next post. If you want more lamp repair stuff, see the Projects link in the right hand column or click here.